- 18 Nights
- 4 Dublin
- 1 Cork
- 3 Killarney
- 2 County Galway
- 2 Aran Islands
- 1 Sligo
- 2 County Donegal
- 1 Derry
- 2 Belfast
Program ends in Belfast.
- The bustling Irish capital, Dublin, with the Hill of Tara and Wicklow Mountains
- The city of Cork with Blarney Castle and the emigration port of Cobh
- Killarney with the scenic Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula
- The dramatic coastal scenery of the Wild Atlantic Way including the craggy Burren with its dolmens, the unique flora and fauna of the Connemara and rugged County Donegal
- The lively university city of Galway and Yeat's Sligo
- The spectacular cliff-top ring fort of the Atlantic Aran isle of Inishmore
- The rejuvenated cities of Derry, with its Peace Bridge, and Belfast with its impressive new Titanic Museum
- The dramatic rock formation of the Giant's Causeway and the local whiskey at Bushmills
Ireland is a lush green island full of thatched cottages, friendly pubs, music, poetry, ebullient people and dramatically diverse rugged countryside. We shall explore this captivating land - with its age-old fortresses and abbeys, quaint country towns, stately cities, dramatic islets and fascinating landscapes – and experience the history, people and natural heritage of Ireland.
This 18 night tour ranges from the bustling capital of Dublin to the greenness of Killarney with its rugged Dingle and Kerry peninsulas; from the natural beauty of the Connemara to the man-made glory of Powerscourt Garden and to the rugged northwest with County Donegal's quintessential villages and national park; from the dramatic Isle of Inishmore, with its spectacular cliff-top ring fort, to the craggy and mystical Giant's Causeway in the north. With colourful local guides we will learn about Ireland's rich heritage as we explore Dublin and the Wicklow Mountains, Cork, Limerick, historic Galway, Yeats' Sligo, Donegal, Derry and Belfast.
- 18 nights in en-suite hotel accommodation
- Irish breakfast daily and 16 dinners
- Touring by comfortable and modern coach
- Transport, lectures and field trips as indicated
- Applicable entry fees and services of local guides
- Services of a Program Leader
- Gratuities and necessary tips
- Detailed preparatory information
Discover Ireland 10 August – 28 August
This tour may be combined with:
- Scottish Island Hopping (20 July – 08 August).
- Discover Wales (24July – 09 August).
- France: Mountains & Majesty (30 August – 19 September)with a Belfast extension or additional nights in Milan.
- Italian Intermezzo (02 September – 20 September) with a Belfast extension and/ or additional nights in Milan.
Louise Shave graduated from the University of Auckland, in Languages, History and Music and with a Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching.
She has a passion for her chosen subjects and really enjoys sharing with travellers the history and culture of countries in which she has lived or experienced. The extensive time she has recently spent living in both France and Ireland has given her an in-depth knowledge of those particular countries. She is a fluent speaker of French.
For the past 14 years, she has led many outbound programmes, especially in Europe, the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, Ireland, India, Bhutan and Nepal. She is much in demand as a guest speaker.
For six years, Louise and her husband explored the waterways of Europe on their 20 metre converted Dutch Barge. Not content with river travel, they also sailed a 10 metre boat across the Irish Sea and then back to England. Three years were spent in Ireland on the canals and rivers, with numerous adventures, followed by more time around the coast and in the English waterways.
As well as those noted above, her interests include art, architecture, theatre, film, reading, trekking, and, not least, her family!